This post may contain affiliate links, to learn more about them, check out our Disclosure.
I have mentioned in other blog posts, as well as YouTube videos, that I have kind of a big sweet tooth. If you give me a choice between chips or chocolate, I am going to choose chocolate 95% of the time. While I do try to eat as healthy as I can, I do like to indulge… everything in moderation, right? It is finally autumn, so it is time to make one of my all-time favorite treats, Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce!
I absolutely LOVE this Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce because it can be used for so many things! I personally love it in my coffee, and I love adding it as a topping to my Healthy Chocolate Donuts! You are not limited to just that though. You can add it into your buttercream for a sweet and salty caramel frosting on cakes and cupcakes, or just eat it by the spoonful!
I tend to prefer my caramel sauce on the blonde side, but you can cook it until it is a lush darker amber. A dark amber will give you a more bitter flavor. Just be careful not to take it too far, it can go from gorgeous amber to burnt fast!
Check out the video below to see how I make this delicious Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce!
Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
- 3 Cups White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream room temp
- 2/3 Cup Unsalted Butter room temp
- 1 Tsp Salt
- In a large, heavy-bottom pot, combine sugar and water.
- Heat sugar mixture over medium-high heat, DO NOT STIR!
- Once the mix starts to boil, reduce heat to medium and allow to boil until sugar becomes a nice amber color.
- Once the desired color is achieved, turn off the heat and carefully stir in heavy cream, whisking well.
- Once cream is incorporated, add in butter and turn the heat back to low.
- Whisk for 2-3 minutes until butter is melted and well incorporated.
- Add in salt and remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a heat resistant container.